Friday 30 September 2011

Why so sharp

There are several factors that have enabled me to create edges on kitchen knives that are screaming sharp.
 The first and most important is a sheer passion for the art. I constantly challenge myself to improve and quite simply, I  thoroughly enjoy the process. Without this, you wouldn't be reading this because there would be no Blog.
Practice of course, reading, watching and learning from mentors, nothing unusual here, it's the basic recipe for reaching a state where you are able to gain satisfaction with something you do. One of the key elements in my inventory, an item that allows me to do what I do is this particular stone.
This is is a 5K Shapton Pro stone that again is cut specifically to fit into my stone arm of the Edge Pro Professional. When I first heard of this brand of Japanese Water Stone I read claims of their quality and knew that at some point in time I would own one of these coveted items. The 5K Shapton seen here is said to deliver an edge that few people have experienced. I have had the pleasure of experiencing it and it is absolutely true, well certainly in my case. The knives I have sharpened with this stone in  the lineup have been truly something you have to see for yourself to believe. I made a mistake on the first knife I did with this stone, the edge just very lightly touched my wrist and a crimson line developed and then the blood flowed. It was like a scalpel on my skin, there was no pain at all.

I have the 15K Shapton as well, imagine what that will do :) .

No comments:

Post a Comment