Tuesday 27 September 2011

Customers - How do I find them and how do they find me?

Without my friendly customers, I would have no knives to sharpen and nothing to feed my obsession except for my own personal knives and those of  the family. Where do my customers come from and how do they know about what I have to offer? This is for me the biggest challenge and the only barrier to my dream of sharpening knives on a full time basis.  The actual art of sharpening is something I am comfortable with and I would not offer to sharpen a knife and expect payment unless I was perfectly comfortable that the owner who was good enough to trust me with the knife in the first place was satisfied and pleasantly surprised at the result. Paderno in Bayer's Lake is the primary source, the good Manager there readily agreed to allow customers to drop off their knives there, I pick them up, do my thing at home and then drop them off at Paderno. It is convenient for folks this way and they have also have some signs up in the store that advertises knife sharpening.
Another way is that folks pick up my Business Card at Cucina Moderna at one of their 3 locations, again, the fine Manager has agreed to allow me to leave my cards in the stores and occasionally people who are interested in getting someone else to sharpen their knives pick up my card and we go from there once contact is made. I am extremely grateful for this, without Paderno or Cucina Moderna I would not have the volume of  customers that I do.
Of course, word of mouth is doing what it does best and I get calls frequently from people who just want sharp knives. This has worked well and occasionally I even get knives shipped to me from other Provinces.
Basically, I get knives from all sorts of folks and they all range in quality and age. I have had a knife given to me that was 55 years old and have also received knives still in the box, brand spanking new that the owner want's a razor edge applied. Although this is a business for me now, I have not reached the stage that I look at it that way. I get excited at every knife that I get at home to sharpen, it is a thrill for me to restore the edge to the at the very least the factory edge and then the real fun begins, the stage beyond the factory edge :)
To date, the most rewarding sharpening service, and they are all rewarding, was one for an older gentleman. He gave me a very large and beautiful hunting knife to sharpen. Three days after I returned it, he delivered it to me, gift wrapped and told me that I did such a good job that I deserved to keep it.
You gotta love happy customers :)
Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment