Friday 30 September 2011

A nice haul


This is a nice batch of very nice knives that I am currently working on. I don't always have this many at once and I like to do about five per night at most. I'll spend anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours per knife depending on each knife and what the customer would like. I offer a custom package where the owner can choose how sharp he/she would like the knife to be. The ultimate edge involves creating the relief angle and using a large selection of stones and ultimately ending up with a mirror finish on the bevel. Then I'll raise the angle and sharpen the edge itself with the same stones but usually finishing up with the 5K Shapton. This is not the end of the process though.
The ultimate edge (That is just a term selected to sound nice, it's just an extremely sharp edge, and by extremely sharp, it is an edge that most people have not experienced - I will explain that soon)
I will finish the job with a stropping. I use balsa strops fitted to metal plates that fit my Edge Pro and are laden with diamond compounds. (picture soon). I use leather strops as well but prefer the balsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment