Tuesday 16 May 2017

Qualifications

Hi,

As you know I recently started a new series of videos, a sharpening school that has been published by Knifeplanet.

While the 21 or so comments that I have read have been positive, I did see a comment on a knife forum about me in particular, nothing to do with these new videos but about me, and it got me thinking.

The comment questioned by qualifications to teach knife sharpening and I do think that is a fair question despite the individuals framing of the question, it was not nice but that's okay, I can learn from it as well and again, it is a good question.



What makes anyone qualified really, we don't have the opportunity to go Sharpening University and get a degree in the subject. So what really makes a person qualified to go out and teach people how to sharpen?

Well, I have been in 3 newspapers including a full page spread, been on the radio, been on TV and I sharpen about three thousand knives a year. I have sharpened the knives of one of best Chef's in Canada.

Does that make me qualified?

Probably not.

I opened up my business in 2010 and I am still in business and I sharpen knives every single day and I absolutely love what I do and I get excited about every single knife that someone brings me to sharpen.

Does that make me qualified.

Absolutely :)

Viewing the videos is optional. I have never stated that I think my videos are the best or anything remotely close to that.






I have no problems with people questioning my ability but at least give me the chance to sharpen your knife and provide you an opportunity to add some weight to any negative statements.


Thank you for being here and I appreciate your desire to learn
peter

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely true! You have never stated that your system is the only valid, or the best one AFAIK. This is not, as you very well state, a thing of a degree or a university. You are not a medical doctor, so to say. I mean: If your system is somewhat "not the best" you are not killing anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're qualified to teach because you can teach. I found your "knife school" on knife planet to be the simplest and most straightforward tutorial I've seen, and it got me to finally stop watching videos and order a stone and try free hand sharpening myself. I certainly haven't mastered sharpening but from watching your videos, my knives are sharper than they were before and I'm enjoying it.

    To me you come across as very modest, you don't claim to be god's gift to sharpening or that your way is the best or only way. I don't see how anyone can question the qualifications of someone who puts this stuff out there for free, doesn't have an ego about it, and has helped me and I'm sure countless others learn to sharpen.

    ReplyDelete