Saturday 20 May 2017

Angle Guides



Hi all,
Thank you for being here.

     I spotted these on the Chef Knives to Go website and they are cool. The package which is less than $10.00 USD, includes guides from 10-20 deg. So it gives people an immediate visual guide of what a 15 deg angle looks like. You could keep the guide in place as seen here and use it as a reference if needed.

CKtG


     I got them them for my students.

12 deg


20 deg







     Most people are surprised how high a 20 deg angle is, how far the spine of the knife is off of the stone. Of course these are just ref points, once you start sharpening you're on your own but they are handy, no doubt about it.




FLATTENING UPDATE



     I have had this plate now for a couple of months, I can return it still but I won't, not even close. It is fantastic. It is expensive, almost 300 Cdn with tax but by far the best plate I have used for flattening. (I have not used the Shapton plate which is even more expensive)

     In my new video series I will be going over flattening and why I think it is important. There are some sharpeners who do not believe it is necessary, but I am pretty sure there concerns are that the flattening process wears out the water stones prematurely. I don't buy into that whatsoever but I will talk about it and show how I flatten. It is pretty common sense for most of course but this is novice orientated article/video, it will be when I am done that is.

Peter
Fujiwara

I have this here for sale actually.



5 comments:

  1. Hi Pete, I am now about 5 months into my freehand sharpening journey and have taken advantage of a lot of your advice to newbe's including not getting hung on exact angles but just developing muscle memory at whatever the angle. That was hard following some 18 odd years on an Edge Pro!!! However, I purchased these angle guides early on and have recently started using them as a bit of a reference, now that I have some muscle memory, so that I can now build in an approx angle. I think that they are probably the best angle reference kit that I have seen so far and yes 20* does look a pretty steep.

    Cheers Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grant. 5 months is great, congratulations. Yup the angle guides are cool, as is the angle guide on the iPhone which is built in to the compass.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Peter, This is a very helpful post.Sharpening stone is very useful thing.Without sharpening knife we cannot get better result. Thanks for your valuable post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya, thank you so much for visiting my Blog, and commenting. Yes, the water stones are almost magical.

      Delete
  3. Cutting with a dull knife can be dangerous. Having to work harder to slice through whatever you’re cutting means you’re more likely to cut yourself. Fortunately, it’s easy to sharpen a knife yourself with a whetstone, a honing rod, or even a coffee mug.

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    HOW TO SHARPEN A KNIFE WITH A STONE

    ReplyDelete