Wednesday 10 February 2016

What drives us to sharpen knives?


             Through the years I have tried to take on some hobbies, I got started on them but I lost interest. Wood working, leather working, things like that but they didn't grab me as I had hoped they would.  I often think why knife sharpening is so different, what makes it so special. Of course it is not special to everyone, but I cannot tell you how many times someone has told me that they tried sharpening a knife or "always wanted to try it". It seems to be one of those skills in life that want to pull us in at least once in our lifetime.

          I wrote an article about this subject for Knifeplanet which is linked here but I come back this thought every now and then.
My Passion

         Besides the obvious benefit of having sharp knives, which are fantastic, what is the so joyful about the process that makes this and why do so many people think about it at some point? Knives, in one form or another have been in use for thousands and thousands of years. Early man used these tools and as rough as they may have been at that time, they were just as much a part of their everyday life as they are now to our normal routine.  Yes I know obsidian was spectacularly sharp in it's natural form so even back then, the thirst for sharpness was present.


          For me, and I am sure many can relate to this and I also know that this is applicable to so many other things we do, but for me, the entire process is extremely satisfying and just so rewarding. I know that I am providing a useful service and every time I get a knife to sharpen I know in my heart that the person who owns that knife is going to be absolutely thrilled with it.  I have said this many times but for the vast majority of people who use knives, even professionals in the culinary industry, the vast majority have never experienced a truly sharp knife.  This is not their fault of course, but it is just a fact. To be able to provide a new experience to people on a daily basis is pretty cool.

         The process itself is relaxing and therapeutic of course but you need to let the process take hold and get as much out of it as you can. There is whole slew of emotions that become unleashed each and every time you sharpen a knife. Anxiety (can I do this?), fear (What if I screw this up?),  courage,  joy, pride, satisfaction, happiness, sadness even. (Had a widow bring me her husbands favourite knife to sharpen out of respect for the recently passed man)

        Of course there is the part about becoming a good sharpener but you grow, your skills are layered and even if all you are doing is making a slight improvement all the collateral joys are attached to that if you let it happen.


         Passion about a skill is yours to own, with it the skill becomes a skill you will truly be proud of.


Now if you read this you're probably thinking that Peter has been smoking something he shouldn't be smoking. That is not the case at all, I'm very proud of what I can do and just trying to let you know that you can do it as well. The sharp edge is just one part of it.

Peter

3 comments:

  1. Excellent article Peter,my interest in sharpening started after the purchase of a Masamoto Yanigiba carbon steel knife. After reading your blog I decided to get the Japanese whetstones to not only sharpen this knife, but all my other knives that sat dull in their blocks all these years.
    A little bit of your passion has rubbed off on me.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Dave, you are on the right track, a little passion will pay off for you for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found this weblog very great and we wanna thank you for that. We hope you keep up the great work!
    Japanese Knives

    ReplyDelete