Friday 20 November 2015

Passive Repair


I got these two very old MAC knives to sharpen, oldest MAC's I have seen, the only ones with wooden handles I've had to sharpen.


As seen in the top picture there is a significant bite out of the edge.

Normally, to repair that edge I would need to remove metal along the entire edge up to the deepest part of the damage, until if disappears. This would entail the removal of a lot of metal and not only that, it would bring the entire primary edge up into the thicker part of the blade so I would have to do a lot of thinning

SO why not just remove the metal from the damaged part back towards the heel and leave the rest of the edge untouched?
This came to me about 3 a.m.


My plan was to remove the metal painted in red, yes it would change the profile of the blade but the collateral damage to the knife would be very much reduced.



I'm not thrilled with the new look but I am very happy I went this route and I am quite positive the owner will be.




I think it is better than the alternative, i.e. cutting away years of life from the knife. 

Peter Nowlan






2 comments:

  1. What did you use to remove the portion? Love the site by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thanks for visiting my Blog, very kind of you.
    Typically, when I need to remove large amounts of metal I will use my 1X42 inch belt sander with trizact sharpening belts. It efficiently removes just what I need, it also saves wear and tear on my precious coarse stones. After I got the lions share of the metal removed, I finished fine tuning that portion of the blade with a coarse stone followed by medium and fine grit stones.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete