Friday 6 November 2015

Japanese Natural Stone

Finally, I have my own natural stone, it comes after a lot of research and I am thrilled to own one now, it is a Yaginoshima asagi finishing stone.


Now these stones don't come like Synthetic stones in regards to their grit level. There is a grit equivalency and this is 8k-12k. The Nagura beside is it cut from the same stone. I've only tried one knife so far, a Global.

I immediately noticed the incredible earthy smell of the stone, this thing is millions of years old and it comes from a cave or quarry in a certain area of Kyoto Japan. The finish is unlike synthetic stones, not as polished as the Shapton 5k for example but that is the nature of this natural. They produce a hazy, misty, Kasumi finish.

In terms of sharpness, absolutely amazing, but again, I expected this. Edge retention will be improved as well, these stones react differently to the carbides in the steel, or I should say the carbides react differently.

I am new to Natural stones, I have one but that doesn't make me an expert with it of course.  However, just having one is something special for me and I truly look forward to discovering what it has to offer especially on hand made knives.




Thank you so much for visiting my little Blog and reading my ramblings.
Respectively
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment