Saturday 30 January 2016

Stone Pie Chart

This picture represents not only how important coarse stones are to me but also demonstrates in a graphical sense how much time I spend with coarse stones on  a knife compared to the medium and finer stones.



Pictured are Naniwa Chosera 400, Shapton Glass 500 extra thick, Nubatama 150, Naniwa Professional 600 and a standard SG 500.
That's the highest pile.



When I sharpen I just don't raise the burr on the coarse stone and stop, I do a little refinement with that same stone by varying pressure. It's really cool the way you can make that coarse stone work with different applications of pressure.

In my process, on the first stone there are 4 levels of pressure, and I will demonstrate this on a new video shortly that I am putting together for Knifeplanet.

P4 (Pressure 4) is the most amount of pressure on a scale from 1-5 with 5 being the most force you could apply to a knife against a stone, you never use that. So P4 pressure is just turning that down a full turn so it is a good deal of pressure but obviously not enough to damage anything.

People have a lot of common sense, I don't think anyone is going to press down hard enough to snap the blade, you just have to make sure that you and the stone are teaming up, pressure conducive to metal removal and burr formation

After that it is easing up and again, I will do my utmost best to demonstrate it in my video, I plan to have that up this week.

Peter

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your next article, I have been thinking about that Naniwa 600 and if it's a good jump from the shapton pro 320.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your next article, I have been thinking about that Naniwa 600 and if it's a good jump from the shapton pro 320.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donnie, thank you very much. I like the 600, it is a good jump as would be the Naniwa 800 which I have not tried. The time spent on a 600 would be much less than the 320. You should remind me to talk about this on the 8th Feb at sharpening demo. I will bring my 600.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter, What is the difference between the Naniwa Traditional stone and the Professional series?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave, well there is a physical difference, the Professional series has replaced the Chosera line. They are a little smaller in thickness and have no markings on them. Naniwa claims they are better however to be honest, I didn't see any difference good or bad. At least they are as good as the Chosera line, I think I have the last two Chosera 400 stones around, still in the box. So no big difference really, still great stones.

    ReplyDelete