Sunday 27 October 2013

What is a good knife to own - revisited

Hi folks,
I get the question often, what is the best knife, in fact, I get it all the time. I think that people feel like I judge them if they bring me an inexpensive knife or they just don't feel it is worth getting sharpened.

First of all, I don't judge people if they bring me a $7.00 knife, in fact I admire them because they appreciate the value of a sharp knife. 

Here are some good knives to get, and think about what you are cooking too, if you spend 90 percent of your time cutting up vegetables, you may like a Nakiri, (veggie knife).

8 inch chef knife: (Everyone should have one of these).

-Grohmann;
-Global;
-Shun;
-Henckels:
-Wusthof;
- MAC

I sharpen these brands often, they are all good knives and if you were to ask me which is the best one to buy I would choose a MAC or Henckels Twin Cermax (high end Henckels). 

If you cut a lot of bread, purchase an inexpensive serrated knife and replace it every year.

Global Knives
Japanese hand made Nakiri (vegetable) knife





MAC Chef knife

The secret to knife happiness is to have it sharpened, regardless of the brand or how much was spent  on the knife, there is just nothing like cutting up food with a very sharp knife. All these are good knives, but unless they are sharp, they are really no better than a 10 dollar razor sharp knife.

Thanks for reading this, I truly appreciate it.
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment