Saturday 5 October 2013

What about ceramic knives

I think at some point most of us are lured into the idea of using a ceramic blade. I know I was and I picked one up ages ago. I believe that the best ceramic knives are made by a company called Kyocera but you can also get them at Paderno in Bayer's Lake and many other spots.
They are not expensive and some may like the very light feel to them.

I HATE them, Im just putting it out there right now, I would never own another one. I didn't find it particularly sharp when new and they are brutal to sharpen. Now I think Kyocera offers free sharpening if you want to ship the knife there. I just don't know why anyone would want one with all the beautiful steel knives out there that are easy to sharpen and are much much sharper.

Now if you have ceramic knives and you love them, as I suspect you do, I can sharpen them. I had to purchase some special diamond plates for my Edge Pro but it isn't something I enjoy doing.

Now having said that, I do believe a new ceramic knife will do a very nice job in the kitchen on both veggies and proteins, they are easy to keep clean and will likely hold their edge for a long time. I think that would be the one advantage that I can think of, a sharp ceramic knife will stay sharp longer than a sharp steel knife.

However, once they are dull, they will stay dull for a long long time.

This is a ceramic knife that I repaired and sharpened, it took me forever to repair the edge and then even longer to sharpen, I mean longer than forever.

The funny thing about sharpening a ceramic is that there is no burr formation, you will NOT get a burr.

(I have never seen a serrated ceramic knife.....I wonder if there are any)

Did I tell you I don't like serrated knives either, I should talk about that.

I appreciate you visiting my blog. 

1 comment: