Friday 18 January 2013

MY KNIFE IS SHARP ENOUGH

Friends,
I will admit that my standard for sharpness exceeds the majority of people out there and that I also have the luxury of being able to sharpen my own knives daily if necessary.
However, what I have noticed over the last couple of years is a common misconception that people have in thinking that their own knives are already sharp because they are new. Also....they are considered new by many if they were purchased within the last couple of years.

We all know how good it feels to use a brand new knife, it is really nice and sharp and it just enhances everything you do in the kitchen...................HOLD ON THERE:

That new knife in the vast majority of cases is not truly sharp,  nobody like me has sat down, hunched over an array of exquisite Japanese Water Stones and fretted about that knife, nobody looked at the edge under a loupe and made sure it was absolutely perfect and ready to go. No..in fact, it is likely that no human touched the blade. This is not to say that the knife isn't good or sharp, obviously it will be sharp enough to cut but it is just the starting point.  That new knife will not hold it's edge long, yet it will continue to be used, in many cases for years and years. Every now and then, the owner will take out a Steel and try to sharpen it and then think, ok it is good for another year. (Sorry it doesn't work that way)

The edge of the knife, the cutting edge is actually quite fragile, different steels will cause different results in edge retention but that edge will very soon start to roll over in places, that is what makes it dull. Hold the knife edge under a bright light, if you see the light reflecting back in spots along the edge, that is pieces of metal that has folded over. It happens with every metal knife and again, it happens very quickly, i.e. within a month of purchase.

This dull knife or knives will do nothing but cause frustration, all the things you love about cooking will start to fall off, you're going to hate those knives after a while. Did you know that cutting food with a dull knife is not only dangerous and frustrating.........you are changing the the way the food should taste.

The awesome part of all of this is that this can be all turned around. I can change that and make that knife sharper than it was when you purchased it. I will remove that fatigued metal, create a new edge and refine it, make it a joy to use, a knife that you will be looking for all the time and telling your friends about.

(I can do that to that knife for many years and it will still look the same, the amount of metal removed is extremely minute).

If you have not given me your knife to sharpen recently.....I'm sorry but it is not sharp enough.

Did I ever tell you how much I appreciate you reading my Blog..........I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment