Sunday 8 September 2013

Some more before and after stuff.


So this is a nice little Japanese hand made knife that has seen better days. These carbon knives can rust and chip easily if not taken care of properly but I promise you, they will perform better than your average European knife.  (well not this one)

So the first step is to remove the rust and I use Bar Keepers Friend for that, I pick that up at Cucina Moderna. It's great for removing rust without scratching, I use a cork and make a little paste with the product. It is like Comet or Ajax but better for this particular purpose.

I then repaired the edge with a Belt Sander and some special Trizact belts, it's just a matter of being very cautious, using good lighting and taking your time.

After that I sharpened it up to 10,000 grit.

This is about an hours work in total, I hope the owner will be pleased:

Thanks for being here, I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment