Friday 25 November 2011

Tip Repair tips

Here are some before and after shots of a Grohmann Chef knife that I was given recently.




Here is the same knife about 15 minutes later:


It's important not to let the knife get too hot on the belt sander during the process. This is the only type of work that I use any electric on. I have some very nice diamond belts that simply do magic on knives. It can be a little scary, I'm removing metal from a clients  knife so I work very slowly and only take just what I need from the damaged tip to repair it. Too much heat build up can ruin the knife so that is a very important tip to remember when attempting this. Slow and steady is the trick, it's not rocket science either.

It is very satisfying work though.  Here is another tip for you:  don't use the end of a knife to pry apart frozen food.

No comments:

Post a Comment