Saturday 5 November 2011

Polishing and scratch removal

The knife on the left is a 20 year old knife that until recently was quite badly scratched. Scratching occurs over time and is not necessarily a sign of neglect, it is merely a result of the knife being used for what it was designed for. Some scratching however is the result of the knife being run through an electric grinder and sometimes this can result in deep scratching along the bevel. I don't like scratches on my knives as is the case with most folks.

How do I remove them you ask?
The process I use involves using wet/dry sand paper in a progression of grits that range, for my purposes from 320 to 2500. It can be a little tricky in that you don't want to end up having to polish the entire blade to make it look the same. Unless the owner wants that or as I did, I wanted a mirror polish applied to the entire blade as seen in the Grohmann above. 
You can actually see the reflection of the camera in on the blade, it now rests proudly among the other knives.
The process of  removing  scratches is not something that produces the exact same results every time, it depends on the depth of the scratch and sometimes the direction. However, it is a very rewarding process when it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment