Sunday 16 October 2011

Serrated - The knife sharpeners bane

So how does one sharpen a serrated knife by hand? Remember that I don't use any electric "knife toasters" do do my knives except for repairs only. 
Picture here  is an older Grohmann serrated knife that I had just finished. I had a good idea on how to do justice to these knives but I knew just who to contact to make sure. The following is not my idea but something I built upon and added some of my own touches to.
I have a ceramic rod that fits perfectly into the serrations by the way but I still wanted to improve my skills.
When I asked my colleagues, (other people with sharpening fixations) how they do these knives the most common answer was: "we don't" many sharpeners will not sharpen serrated knives and will avoid them.
I would prefer to stick to the straight edge but I recognize the need to have these ones sharpened, and fortunately, they really only need to be done once a year at most.

So with a serrated you have the serrated side obviously and then the flat side of the knife.

Here is the serrated side that I have done.
Each and every single little scalloped indentation needs some attention.










Here is the flat side and some people will only sharpen this side of the knife. Doing so will definitely sharpen your knife that's avoiding 50% of the blade...it is isn't it??


You may notice that I've sharpened this side as well with a nice progression of stones to ensure it was adequately sharpened and that bread will fear this knife.


Again, with advice from my much smarter friend in the States, I decided to tackle both sides of the blade.

One of materials that are useful in sharpening and easily available is sandpaper. I am talking micro abrasives in a large variety of grits from 220 up to 1 micron.
I purchased some metal rods in various diameters and the micro abrasives and then I selected the rod that fit into serrations of this knife. Now the ceramic rod that I have fits perfectly and I also found that my screwdriver "barrels" did as well. The beauty of the screwdriver is that they have a handle. I simply cut out pieces of the abrasives, and then wrapped them around the screwdriver barrel and with a trailing motion I pulled the "rods" against the serrations. I repeated the process in every grit and the result was  a sharpened serrated blade.

Here are the SSIT's (Serration Sharpening Improvised Tools) that I used:

While they are not pretty, the result was very good.

The smaller rods are for the smaller serrations such as those found in a tomato knife.

I may have beaten the serrated knife, as of this moment, I no longer fear sharpening it.

     WHO's the MAN?

No comments:

Post a Comment