Saturday 15 October 2011

Hunting knives - different kettle of fish


Hello there. This is a Grohmann hunting knife that I used when I was at sea. (They make a great seaman's knife). It didn't look like this at the time of course and this one is about 10 years old. The picture doesn't do the bevel justice but you can see what a nice polish the knife takes. It is a slightly different process that I use on the micro edge these knives. I don't put a mirror edge on  the cutting edge (micro edge) of a kitchen knife because we need to have a bit of bite on the cutting edge. On a hunting knife however, the mirror finish lends on the bevel and the micro edge lends itself to improved cutting so I use the higher grit stones on the edge of a hunting knife. I use those same stones as polishing stones on the relief angle of kitchen knives. Clear as mud eh :)

I don't get the opportunity to do many hunting knives and relish the opportunity when I do. I charge about a million dollars for these ones though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment