Sunday 13 November 2016

Folding Knives

Hi there,

     As I work on the article for Knifeplanet, life goes on. I was contacted by a search and rescue helicopter pilot who needed two DPx Heft knives done.

     I had never heard of them but lets face it, it doesn't take long to become familiar with just about anything these days just by searching on Google.  I was quite impressed and anxious to get the knives in my hand.

     To add to the entertainment, the owner asked if I could do it while he waited and while I don't often do this, I obliged, just grateful for the opportunity.

DPx Heft

     I learned that these were made in D2 steel, a popular tool steel and quite hard, 62. I was very curious to see how burr formation would take place, was it going to be a long hard road or easy? I decided to freehand the knives rather than choosing the Edge Pro as I knew it would be quicker and I wasn't shooting for a mirror finish, just sharpness. 

    These knives are fantastic, I could not get over the quality of the handles, the knives are beautifully made. Burr formation was a breeze, a good thing and I sharpened them both in about 25 minutes.

Shapton Glass 500
Naniwa Chosera 1, 000, 3, 000 and 5, 000 for the finish and a stropping on kangaroo leather strop.


I will be purchasing the folder on the bottom for sure. I have always wanted a really nice and sturdy knife like this to carry around, an EDC and this will be it.

I'll be getting mine here since I am in Canada.


Peter Nowlan


No comments:

Post a Comment