Wednesday 20 July 2016

My Favourite Picture

Hello,

Once in awhile, some of my pictures actually turn out pretty good.  I really try to make them a little different than just taking a picture of a knife but it is not as easy as it sounds, for me anyway

However I am pretty proud of this one.




2010 was the 100th Anniversary of the Canadian Navy and knives that are made here in Nova Scotia were made with a logo especially for the events of that year with the major even being the Royal Visit, the Queen came on one of our ships. I was heavily involved with it all as I was the Protocol Officer.

Anyway, I used the EP Pro to sharpen the knife with the following stones:

Shapton Pro 320, Naniwa Chosera 1,000 and 3,000 and Shapton Pro 5,000 to finish it off.

The EP is very good for creating mirror like finishes due to it's precision. I have done this freehanding many times but I do find it more difficult, especially on the left side of the knife. It's impossible to match the precision that the Edge Pro delivers so every now and then I take it out for knives like this.




I'll throw this picture in just for kicks, freehanded this with the same stones....just bigger ones:

If I had to do this over I would have used the EP for this one too, the serrated portion makes it a little tricky and also the original grind of the knife was not that good so I had my work cut out for me.



Thanks for looking.
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment