Tuesday 1 December 2015

Learn to Sharpen

how-to-sharpen-knife-on-japanese-water-stone/



Folks, as some may know I was asked to write an article or two for Knifeplanet and I did write an article on how to sharpen knives using Japanese Water Stones.
The link is above and also it is on my website.

I was informed that the article was picked up by a very popular site in Europe, they are very pleased with the article and got permission to post it and it was read by over 20,000 people in a few hours.


So, with that, I am just mentioning this because I think a lot of folks want to learn to sharpen and perhaps the article will assist you. Of course there is nothing like a hands on demonstration but we all don't have access to that. If you do, if you can get a lesson from a pro who uses Japanese Water Stones I do highly recommend it.


Peter

Remember, it is not about the brand of water stones you use. I have an obsession with sharpening and water stones but in all honesty I could make it work with 2 or 3 stones and if absolutely necessary with 1 stone. 

Just don't go to a hardware store and buy that grey oil stone for 8 bucks, please don't do that. Also, don't go buy a knife at the Dollar Store and try to sharpen it, it will be poor steel and hard to sharpen and will shake your confidence. 




Yesterday I taught sharpening to culinary students for a couple of hours.


Like I told them, to be a successful sharpener, i.e. to make your dull knives sharp enough to use on a vegetable without crushing it, you do need to have some passion. Now that passion can begin with an interest,  a desire to make the knife sharp. 

If you are just doing it to get it over with and don't take the time to enjoy the moment, realize how cool what your doing it, then I think you're better off having someone else sharpen for you.  That is if you have zero interest but of course this does not apply to anyone reading this, what the hell would you be doing here if you didn't have the desire.


I'm working on another video by the way,



Stay cool :)
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment