Monday 8 June 2015

BFC




This is the largest cleaver I have sharpened. The owner drove two hours to bring it to me, it's about 70 years old, had no handle and no Edge to speak of.  It was severely blunt from years of hammering away at something so this was a lengthy challenge.

Coarse stones are vital with this type of work, I started on a Naniwa 220 to reset the bevels and basically make it look like something useful again. This was 30 minutes of grinding and again, it's where you need patience because without the ground work you are not going to achieve what you set out for.
Now, you could just use a grinder and put a decent edge on it but I suspect that if you are interested in that type of thing, you are not here reading this Blog, it certainly wouldn't be anything I would be looking at.


I went from the 220 to a 400 Chosera then, 1k, 2k, 4k and that was it. The owner is a woodworker so he can do the handle. I would love to see it when it was done. The angle was approx 25 degrees. I don't even know if he is going to use it, he just wanted his cleaver to look good again.



(Yes, If I was intelligent man, I would have taken some "Before" shots.)




Just some random pictures of a recent project, all the knives in the three pictures above are new and belong to the same individual. They were not sharp though, they had been "sharpened" on a grinder by the makers just to sell them.  Some folks just love collecting knives, he has over 100 of them.


I will be making another video shortly on how I sharpen the tips of kitchen knives, it was an area that always caused me some stress but I think I solved that riddle, well someone else did it for me and I learned from watching someone else, I jus't cant remember.

( the picture above has been in one of my earlier Blog posts)

Thanks for looking and hanging in there.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment