Friday 3 August 2012

Edge Pro Stones - Alternatives and I have them

Folks, for those of you fortunate enough to own an Edge Pro Apex or Professional, you are already aware of what is capable of. The fact that you have one proves that you are interested in sharpening, very interested likely and you appreciate a nice edge.

You know by now if you have visited my Blog before (thanks), that I am absolutely obsessed with sharpening and I love my Edge Pro Professional. I also thoroughly enjoy free hand sharpening with full size stones.

I sharpen  many knives and I'm  finding that I am wearing out the lower grit stones for the EP, anything from 2,000 grit down is not lasting me very long and the average price for me to buy the stones I use is 60 bucks a pop. You may know by now that there are many different stones available for the Edge Pro. The stones that come with the system are just great, they are not expensive to replace and dealing with Ben Dale, the inventor of the system is an absolute dream in terms of follow on service.

For me however, I love to try different products and there are some great ones out there but again, not cheap to get, you need to order them online as well.

I got to thinking maybe I can make my own stones for the EP, and low and behold, I did.

I purchased an excellent stone called Bester, a very high quality Japanese Water Stone and the one I have is 700 grit. I intend to start my sharpening process with this stone, I have heard nothing but good things about it.

I will be selling them as well at $35.00 and they will be mounted on EP Blanks so they will be ready go.

I will be testing the stones and I will let you know what I think of them. I also have some Norton 220 stones, these will go for 15 dollars unmounted. You don't buy these stones already mounted.

I don't have many right now and my intention is just to use them for myself. I will also be picking up the amazing Sigma Power Select II Japanese Water Stones and these will go up to 10,000 grit.
The Sigma is very well known for the speed in which they cut and some prefer them over any other stone, including the amazing Shaptons,  which are my current favourite.

Here are the two stones that I cut for the EP. The Bester is the brown coloured stone and the 220 Norton is the grey one. Both are considered Coarse stones but the Bester is the premium brand. I cannot wait to try it out.  If you want one, give me an email or call.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Pete,

    I'm a fellow Edge Pro sharpener in sunny Winnipeg MB. I've been thinking of doing the same thing myself. Actually I have the exact same stones too. So what did you cut them with? I brought mine to a place with a water jet but they wanted like $300 to cut both stones. Did you do it yourself? With what? Can you let me know or is it a "trade secret" :). I look forward to hearing from you.

    F.Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. try the haidu stones from hungaria 1 by 6 special produced for the edge pro and 1/2 inch thick

    ReplyDelete