Thursday 10 December 2015

Grinder vs Water Stone

Hi again,
It is common for me to be approached by someone who tells me "my husband just sharpens the knives in our basement"  or "I sharpen my own knives" and when I ask how (and I ask how not to be ignorant, but because I think it is cool, we may have something in common). However, in the majority of cases, Japanese Water Stones don't come up.

I do realize that you can sharpen knives on oil stones and belt sanders, of course, I don't criticize anyones method unless it is a grinder, a wheel that may be good for doing quick work on an axe of lawn mower blade but not a knife.

So if you use an oil stone to sharpen your knives, cool, in fact, I started on oil stones about 35 years ago.  I just happen to use water stones, I don't enjoy using anything else but that doesn't mean you don't.


Back to my grinder issue.

Here is a picture of knife that I did today on a grinder, a real expensive one, I get these about once a week.
The shot on the left is the "grinder edge"






It takes me about 3 times as long to do these knives, yes I suppose I could sharpen the edge and not worry about the hideous industrial looking bevel but I just let something like that go from my home.

Enough about grinders.
(having said this, there may be folks out there with grinders and special sharpening wheels that can perform magic, I am sure that there is. I am just talking about what I see on a weekly basis)


Peter



2 comments:

  1. Grinding stones are no doubt one of the oldest methods of sharpening dull knives. But as the technology is changing people are using the knife sharpener as well which are quick and easy to use as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. I know there are different tools out there for sharpening, just because I use water stones I realize that it's not for everyone. People either have no interest or just don't have the time. They just want sharp knives.
      Perer

      Delete