Tuesday 8 December 2015

Daily Routine

Hi folks,

If this is your visit, thanks for finding my Blog, and if this is not your visit, you already know how grateful I am that you are here.

In case anyone wonders how many knives I sharpen a day, I will tell you.

Todays Haul
This is a little more than a daily average of knives and I won't get through all of them in one day. I don't know what is in store for me when I open the packages, each package has anywhere from one to eight knives. I will spread this bunch over 3 days, in the meantime more knives will arrive.

I think it is pretty cool that folks get their knives sharpened and I never take it for granted that they trust me with them.

I've only every had once unfortunate incident where an individual accused me of doing something to his knife. Fortunately I had plenty of photos to back me up and the sad thing is, that individual has lost access to a pretty good knife sharpener.  I always take a photo the knives when I get them and before I start work just to be safe, but I never need them.

Each knife takes me about 15 minutes to do, of course there will be some that take much longer but on the average it is 15 minutes.


I go through a coarse stone, 400-500 grit in about 3 months.

500 Shapton Glass that I can see through.



Just sharing some info here, now I have to get to work on these knives.





You're wondering what this picture has to do with knife sharpening......wait for it.


I just think it is cool, these toys are 23 years old and belong to my son, his son now plays with them. The X-Wing fighter in the background still make sounds after all these years.


So why am I putting this picture here.......my grandson (grasshopper) is the one that will take over my business someday when I am too old to sharpen. When they pry those water stones out of cold dead hands.....20 years from now if I am lucky..



2 comments:

  1. Nice! Looks like you have a good thing going! Have you thought about or do you cut your worn stones down for use as slurry, pocket, or Edge Pro stones? Just wondering! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Sorry for the delay, the comments are not showing up on the bottom of the posts.
      Yes I use my worn out stones all the time, I cut them up for the Edge Pro:)

      Delete