Saturday 15 December 2012

Pricing


As is normal when having work done on something, you need to know what it will cost.
Pricing is something that I have given a lot of thought too, researched, asked folks who are knowledgeable about such things and so on. I just didn't pick numbers out of my head and think, "well this seems fair to me"

Finding a balance between what is fair to you and fair to me has not been as easy as I thought it would be.  Over time however I have to come to realize that I just can't please everyone.

90% of the time, there is no problem with the pricing, people just seem to appreciate the work that goes into making knives sharp. Sometimes however, people who have knives that they paid 8 dollars for and are only 3 inches long will hesitate at paying 7 dollars to have it sharpened.

In fact, it is these less expensive knives that are more of a challenge to sharpen and it is not my fault that some paid less than 10 dollars for a knife. Just throw it away and get a new one if that is the case.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I cannot charge less because it is a cheap knife, my time is important and you are paying for that. I can sharpen a $180.00 Shun in half that time it takes me to sharpen a $6.95 no name paring knife.  However, I will ensure that the knife is sharp, I don't care how inexpensive it is, if I get it in my  hands, I know it is important to you so I will do my best.

Many knives that I get looked like they have been dragged behind a car for a few miles, I don't have machine that I pop the knife into to repair the damage. I do it all by hand and  the products that I use to do this (Japanese Water Stones) wear out, they need to be replaced. So getting that knife back to a place where I can even begin to sharpen it, is very hard on the stones.  So I cannot charge less just because you don't think the knife is worth it.

If you think that $1.25 per inch of blade is too much to spend, you are entitled to your opinion.
Perhaps you can find someone else to sharpen for less.

Remember, you may know someone who says they know how to sharpen knives.
BUT, do they have dreams about knife sharpening, do they think about it every day, do they spend absurd amounts of time reading about knives, different brands of stones. Does Scratch Pattern or Nanocloth come up in  dinner conversation ?

I can say "yes" to all these questions :)

I'm here for you, don't blame me because your knives are dull and you have to pay someone to get them back in shape for you.  If it bothers you, don't bring to me.

I am extremely particular about my work, I am constantly learning new things and I can make your knives sharper, in most cases than you've ever seen. If that is important to you, than I think the cost issue (if there is an issue) will vanish once you have your hands on the knife and you are cutting food. You will realize how nice it is to have a sharp knife, you will save time too because it is so sharp.

Your stress level will decrease because you are no longer frustrated that the knife is dull and you were on the fence for so long about getting it sharpened. You took the plunge and now all you can think of is how sharp the knife is.......you can't even remember how much it cost you.

Happy Holidays friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment