Friday 21 December 2012

Common Issues

I get asked all sorts of questions about knife sharpening, often by people with a block of dull knives who are not quite ready to hand them over to a stranger.
So they ask me questions, to test the waters, see what I know about knives and whether or not I'm going to ruin their knives. One wrong answer (wrong in their minds that is) will mean that they are faced with dull knives forever.

Most of time, the lingering doubts are from people who own nice knives, they have spent a good deal of money on them, in their mind they are the best knives around and they are worried about their knives.
I completely get that, no issues there for me.

HOWEVER...what people need to understand is that I'm not a big business with my priorities not in order. My priority is taking care of your knife, whether it is a $6.95 paring knife that is 8 years old or a new Global or MAC. (Believe me folks, there are better knives out there than this, you just can't pick them up in the stores here but I get them every now and then to sharpen)

I had a person with some dull Globals drill me on the sharpening angle. "What angle are you going to sharpen it at" I believe I said 16 degrees and the person walked away.  I wonder how many people in the area (CANADA) can actually sharpen a knife by hand at exactly 16 deg or 15 degrees?

So instead of letting me sharpen the knives at 16 deg or 15 if that was the preference, that person will continue the quest for the individual who can answer the riddle correctly.  In fact however, I can actually sharpen a knife at exactly 15 of 15.9 degrees if desired. I have the Edge Pro Professional, a precision guided system that enables very precise angles.  So that person missed out.

The issue is that people, I think, are so used to getting screwed over somewhere, they have been ripped off in the past that they don't understand that they are dealing with an individual who has an incredibly strong passion for knife sharpening.

I have a full time military career, so I'm not surviving off of this business, this is something that I love to do and I'm good at it, it has taken me many years to feel comfortable with other peoples knives but I am now.

Get over the fear, you are dealing with a person who has an obsession with sharpening and water stones. I have never ruined a knife in 35 years. (I wonder how many other people can say that who have used a gadget, electric grinder to sharpen their knives)?

It is not about exact angles, it is consistency, if I sharpen your Global at 17 degrees are you going to know that by looking at it? Certainly not, your just going to feel an edge that you didn't believe was possible. If you think that Global was sharp the day you bought it, you are in for a treat.

Get of the fence people, stop hindering yourselves by using dull knives. You are creating a negative impact on the taste of your food by using a dull knife, it is tearing at the cells of the food at a molecular level. Why do you think Japanese Chefs sharpen their knives daily?

Have a fantastic Holiday Season and thanks so much for being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment