Monday 12 November 2012

Japanese Knives




For a truly exceptional edge, you need to use a Japanese hand made knife. I am not aware of anywhere in Nova Scotia where you can walk into a store and buy one. However, there are some really great, trustworthy online sites.

Knifewear in Calgary is one such place, take a look at the knives that Kevin has there for sale and you will see a wide variety. I have sharpened these knives and in terms of sharpness, they can achieve a very sharp edge at quite an acute angle. These knives are much sharper than our Henckels and Wusthof  and even Globals and Shun knives. However, many of them,  the ones I like are high carbon content and require a little extra care. Basically, you need to make sure that they are dry, completely dried off after use of rust will form on the blade. 
One of the knives from Knifewear will definitely be on my Christmas list.

Chef knives to go is another great spot, however, Knifewear is Canadian so you won't be dealing with any customs issues, however, I have ordered from CKtG and there has never been an issue with customs. Mark Richmond, owner of Chef Knives to Go is great to deal with.

Another Canadian online store is Paul's Finest, I have shared emails with Paul, his reputation is well known and it's another good spot. 

Just use the table on left side to find a great assortment of knives and Paul is very quick to respond to questions. I am going there next for any of my Japanese Water Stones. 

You can buy one of these great knives for a couple hundred knives and I guarantee you that you will be startled by the sharpness. ALSO.....they are very easy to sharpen.

Peter

1 comment:

  1. I was pinning away for such type of blogs, thanks for posting this for us. Visit: Japanese Knives

    ReplyDelete