Saturday 18 February 2012

I don't need a professional sharpener !

Very frequently, I receive dull knives from ladies who have wrestled them away from their husbands. I can hear it now: "why are we paying someone to sharpen these knives, I can just go buy one of those electric grinders at Walmart  and do it myself?"
I was there once myself actually, thinking that I could achieve the same results at home, with no practice/technique/love for the art of sharpening etc. Heck yeah, I could do this.

Yes you can sharpen your own knives with one of these gadgets,  you can also take your wife to McDonald's to celebrate your anniversary.  (I haven't done this by the way).
The nifty little gadgets you can purchase are just that, gimmicks, there is absolutely no comparison to the edge that a machine like these can produce to the edge achieved  by someone using Japanese Water Stones on a guided system like the Edge Pro Professional. Also, remember that this system and beautiful water stones are being used by someone (me) who is absolutely obsessed with achieving a ridiculous degree of sharpness on a knife and someone (me) who has had this interest (obsession) for over 20 years. So if you think you can pull out an electric machine from the cupboard, plug it in and run your knife through it 3 times and get it as sharp as I can, I understand, you're misguided but I do understand. ( I threw those same machines out long ago :)

(Seriously, these grinders will remove metal at an alarming rate. If you are convinced that I am wrong and don't know what I talking about. I appreciate you reading my Blog anyway)

Do your knives a favour and listen to your wife. Women are very intelligent when it comes to these things, brilliant actually.   


Bring it on:)

No comments:

Post a Comment